18 March 2010

Why You So Obsessd With Me?




Many of us have individuals that are in our lives whether directly or indirectly that we look up to and aspire to be like. We call these people role models. I've always disagreed with the concept of the "role model" simply because its very name creates an impossible task. How can one say "I want to be like him/her when I grow up"? When these persons were at that stage in their lives, I'm certain they weren't thinking, "I want to be like me when I grow up".
The things they learned and the qualities they sought were most likely due to someone else's accomplishments. So in essence, wanting to "be like someone when I grow up" literally means "I want to be like this person, and the person they wanted to be like, and the person they wanted to be like...". Instead of the word "role model", I choose the word inspiration. And no has inspired me lately quite like Marquis Phifer of LateBoots
. His blog is my Firefox homepage, and I follow it daily to read about and be inspired by the hustle of this 23-year old junior at Morehouse College. Phifer's age and drive show me that you don't have to be a 30-year-old college graduate to be making moves. His hustle mentality gives me the drive and inspiration to work on this blog. His fashion interest and work in the industry creates a rapport of commiseration between Marquis and I. I must say, when my friend request to him on Facebook was accepted, I felt more determined than ever to not seek to follow in his footsteps, but to seek what he sought. And even though I hate to admit it, I'm obsessed. But what can I say: I'm highly attracted to highly attractive people...

1 comments:

Devona D. said...

Because I know you, I know you will become an inspiration to others just because of who you are and your passion for the fashion industry. This is a very honest post. One that should inspire others to identify the people or things that inspire them to be great individuals.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Fashion Inc. Style Society. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan